Category: Media & Marketing
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 3-6 Months
Application Closing Date: July 30th
Start Date: July/August
A large part of conservation involves raising awareness about important environmental and sustainability issues. How can people make a difference if they aren’t aware of the problems? Through education and communication, it is possible to change behaviours to benefit and conserve the environment, take the plastic free movement for example. To do this effectively requires conservation marketing. Use this internship to learn how to champion current and future customers whilst benefiting society and the environment.
Whats in it for you?
Work alongside fantastic people who are equally passionate about conservation, helping them to raise awareness and promote their amazing programmes. Travel around Malaysia to work on marine, rainforest and community conservation projects in stunning destinations such as the Perhentian Islands and Merapoh. Plus see the sights of Kuala Lumpur whilst based at our marketing intern accommodation. Develop both marketing and conservation skills to enhance your CV plus enjoy a wealth of additional benefits.
Skills for your CV:
- Excellent communication skills used to influence and inform
- Understanding of branding and positioning
- Content creation for specific target audiences, including blogging
- Website maintenance using wordpress
- Social media marketing and management using Hootsuite
- Competency creating email campaigns in MailChimp
- Knowledge and implementation of SEO optimisation (Search Engine Optimisation)
- Setting SMART goals and monitoring progress
- Efficient time management and excellent organisation skills, working to set deadlines and travelling between a number of project sites
- Practical experience in conservation; marine, rainforest and community
- Free accommodation. You’ll be based at an apartment in Kuala Lumpur (KL) with our other marketing interns. Whilst at Project sites you’ll be in mixed dorm rooms with our project interns and volunteers allowing you to mix with some wonderful people.
- Free food! OK it won’t be an all you can eat buffet every day, but you’ll get access to communal staff food at each project base, plus receive a food allowance for your time in KL.
- Free Wifi! All our projects have access to wifi so you can keep your Instagram up to date
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 4 days off each month during project season (Feb to Nov). You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here after all.
- All work related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia)
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship. We’ll do our best to help you land your dream job
What we need from you
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and be committed and passionate to learning about conservation marketing. Find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Strong interest in conservation and acquiring professional marketing skills
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule
- Team player but also comfortable working independently
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines
- Good attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable. Ability to use initiative
- IT competency
- Good level of English, verbal and written
Key duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and develop the Ecoteer website, including writing blog posts about your personal experiences, and optimising SEO (search engine optimisation)
- Create exciting content for email communications, producing monthly newsletters using MailChimp
- Plan, schedule and implement social media posts in line with marketing goals
- Produce creative briefs to be completed by the photography and videography team
- Collect testimonials and content from volunteers and interns whilst at project sites
- Continually research innovative ways to promote Ecoteer offers and deliver to our target audience
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other teams where necessary, maintaining open communication at all times
- Follow agreed timetables an deadlines to deliver work in a timely fashion
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer
- Any other duties that may be required including; cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work related or personal)
If this isn’t enough to convince you, let our past interns tell you for themselves about the experiences they’ve had in the video below.