Project: Perhentian Marine Research Station
Location: Perhentian Islands, Malaysia
Job Type: Internship
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: August – October 2019
Application Closing Date: TBD
The Perhentian Marine Research Station is a project that was initiated by Blue Temple Conservation in 2013 but from June-2016 has been managed by Fuze Ecoteer. The aim of the research station is to monitor the marine
ecosystems and assess population dynamics and movements of specific fauna living in the Perhentian Islands Marine Park. The results of the studies will be given to decision-makers to help them effectively manage the Marine Park. Specific areas PMRS looks into are seagrass, coral rehabilitation, sharks and turtles. The project is funded by voluntourism and school and corporate groups.
Develop underwater field skills as you undertake biannual surveys studying the effects of the monsoon on seagrass in the islands. Plus gain experience managing volunteers where the focus will be direct conservation action including ‘diving against debris’, turtle and shark identification and maintaining a coral nursery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily coordination of volunteers, organising and facilitating their activities; dive courses, research dives or diving for debris, beach/reef cleans, Malay dinners etc.
- Provide a programme introduction, training and village tour for volunteers outlining key aspects of our research, activities around the island, objectives and expectations.
- Complete relevant training, safety briefings and ensure all applicable forms are signed and recorded.
- Continual monitoring of data for quality and accuracy. Retraining to be provided if required.
- Identify and implement ideas for additional research, sharing data and promoting sustainable practices.
- Educate and inform dive centres and resorts so they can become more environmentally responsible.
- Complete projects and reports as required by the project manager such as producing informative displays and research impact reports to share with tourists.
- Guide volunteers through a water confidence training session where you will teach them about responsible snorkelling.
- Ensure all safety precautions are taken whilst in the water and make sure all volunteers are accounted for during water-based activities. E.g. buddy checks, suitable dive times and depths.
- Collect and record feedback from volunteers and regularly review the programme to maximise volunteer experience and produce reports when requested by the project manager.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean & tidy with the help of our volunteers through daily chores on a rota basis. Including providing fresh bed linen for all new volunteers.
- Report to your supervisor, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Assist the Project Manager in completing risk assesments, operating procedures and programme content as required.
- Follow agreed timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required as delegated by your supervisor including; cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work related or personal).
- Minimum certification of PADI Rescue Diver or higher with over 100 dives logged
- Experience in data collection and research methods
- High level of water safety awareness and excellent swimming ability
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule
- Team player but also comfortable working independently
- Efficient time management skills and able to meet deadlines
- Good attention to detail, particularly with regards to data collection, input and research monitoring
- Excellent communicator and confident public speaker
- Experience managing or coordinating group activities
- Knowledge of the current work of the Perhentian Marine Research Station and marine conservation in Malaysia
- Flexible and adaptable. Ability to think on your feet
- IT competency
- A wealth of scientific diving and marine conservation experience.
- Accommodation included in your admin fee (just £100 per 3 months if coming from abroad) at our ‘Blue Temple’ project site on Perhentian Kecil. You’ll be in mixed dorm rooms and whilst basic, you’ll live with other project interns allowing you to mix with some wonderful people.
- Free food! OK it won’t be an all you can eat buffet every day, but you’ll get access to communal staff food at each project base.
- Free Wifi! All our projects have access to wifi so you can keep your Instagram up to date.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (Feb to Nov). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further a field. You might as well
see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer term internship.
- All work related expenses (Unfortunately this excludes travel to or from Malaysia)
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship. We’ll do our best to help you land your dream job.
How To Apply
Applicants will need to state their position applied for in the email subject, and submit their CV and Cover Letter as an email attachment to email@example.com
For more information, or if you have any further enquiries about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.