Project: Malayan Rainforest Station
Location: Merapoh, Malaysia
Job Type: Internship (2 positions available)
Application Closing Date: 9th July 2019
Start Date: TBD
As a Malayan Rainforest Station Agroforestry Intern, you’ll have the opportunity to impart your green finger passion and love for caring and nurturing trees with our team. This is a new project and we are looking to rejuvenate an old Cocoa plantation but mixed cropping with forest species which attract beneficial species to the cocoa trees. This role is exciting as its a new project and needs people with green fingers but also self-directed learners, as our team are NOT agriculturalists. The Cocoa Board Malaysia will provide training in regards to grafting and caring for the trees. There are also 7 other experienced Malaysian growers in Kubang Rusa to learn from. If you are looking for a real challenge and not frightened of hard work and self direction then this is for you.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Pruning, grafting and caring for 4 acres of abandoned Cocoa plantation
- Ground maintenance of the plantation
- Working with the Cocoa Board Malaysia
- Researching which forest and other commercial species work well with Cocoa trees
- Working with Rubber tappers and potential of them doing mixed cropping with Cocoa Trees
- Developing a small nursery to propagate commercial and forest species
- Developing a guide and manual for future interns to learn from your experiences.
- Experimenting with making products from raw Cocoa.
- Collect photos and videos of activities for social media where appropriate and produce blogs about your experience when requested.
- When required, assist the project manager and other interns with volunteer and research activities including trekking, camping, bushcraft, and caving.
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other interns when necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed on timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean and tidy, assisting with daily chores on a rota basis.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by MRS and Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required including; group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal).
- Strong interest in agroforestry
- Self directed learner.
- Not scared of hard manual work.
- Highly organised and the ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable. Ability to use initiative.
- IT competency.
- Good level of English and Malay, both verbal and written.
- Love of the outdoors and rainforest.
- Possesses a driving license (manual license desirable)
- Free accommodation for local Malaysian. Accommodation for just £100 per 3 months (if you’re coming from abroad) based at our house in Merapoh.
- You’ll get access to communal staff food at each project base where you’ll cook alongside other interns.
- Exciting experiences with the project volunteers such as caving, bushcraft, and camping in rotation with the other interns.
- An additional allowance of RM250 per month after 6 months, if you commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work related expenses (Unfortunately not including your travel to or from the project site the first time).
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship. We’ll do our best to help you land your dream job.
How To Apply
Applicants will need to include their applied position as an email subject, and submit their CV and Cover Letter as an email attachment to email@example.com
For more information, or if you have any further enquiries about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.