Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Category: Tourism & Community Engagement
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 3-9 Months
Application Closing Date: Ongoing
Start Date: 10th February 2020
The Perhentian Islands are becoming an increasingly popular tourist destination. The Perhentian Eco-Education Project are committed to work with the island community to ensure these increased tourist activities are sustainable. This includes delivering eco-snorkel tours that promote responsible snorkelling, community and village tours, local cooking classes and managing waste responsibly. Help develop and promote these activities to a wider audience as an Ecotourism Leader.
An Ecotourism Leader is committed to working with the island community to ensure the increased tourist activities are sustainable. This includes delivering eco-snorkel tours that promote responsible snorkelling, community and village tours, local cooking classes and managing waste responsibly.
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PEEP House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project sites.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia).
- Written reference letter upon completion of the internship.
What we need from you
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and be committed and passionate to engaging with the local Perhentian community and promoting sustainable tourism practices. Find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Keen interest in sustainable tourism and community development.
- Excellent communication skills and a confident public speaker.
- Excellent level of English, verbal and written. Knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia desirable but not essential.
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Comfortable working with children.
- Interest to host and interact with tourists.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Knowledge of the work of the Perhentian Eco-Education Project in Malaysia.
- Interest in conservation and sustainability.
- IT competency.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Organise Malay dinners and Kuih making sessions for volunteers and tourists with the Perhentian Island Ladies Association (PILA) as per request.
- Deliver village and community tours to tourists and providing insight into island life.
- Investigate new travel agents to sell eco-snorkel tours and community visits. Promote these opportunities on Trip advisor.
- Work with qualified Eco-Snorkel guides to help them improve and lead trips when needed.
- Produce informative displays of how the village and islands have developed to inform and influence protection towards the islands.
- Discuss the impacts of tourism and how important a healthy and clean environment is to tourism.
- Participate in beach and village cleanups, encouraging villagers to get involved.
- Assist with composting and recycling projects and promote sustainable practices by sharing information.
- Collect photos and videos of activities for social media where appropriate and produce blogs about your experience when requested.
- When required, assist the project manager and other interns with volunteer and research activities including water confidence, school classes and eco snorkelling practices.
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other interns when necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed to timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean and tidy, assisting with daily chores on a rota basis.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.
To get a real idea about the Eco-Education Project that you’ll be working on, have a look at our video with the Project Manager, Naquiah, below.