Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Salary: RM1,500 per month plus commission
Application Closing Date: 22nd October
Start Date: 1st January 2019
Perhentian Marine Research Station
The Perhentian Marine Research Station was initiated by Blue Temple Conservation in 2013. As of June 2016, the project is now managed by Fuze Ecoteer. Our aim is to monitor marine ecosystems and assess population dynamics and movements of specific fauna living in the islands. Results of the studies will be given to decision makers to help them effectively manage the Perhentian Islands Marine Park. Research and conservation will focus on seagrass, coral nurseries, shark and turtle ID and reef cleans. The project is funded by voluntourism and school and corporate groups.
As the Project Manager you will be responsible for managing diving, research, interns, volunteers and monthly budgets. You will work with the directors to establish annual goals for which you will be responsible for achieving. Your team will train and lead unskilled volunteers to conduct the research. Training to the highest level is therefore of utmost importance. This role will require excellent management skills (interns, volunteers, villagers and resort staff), organisation and leadership. You will need to have passion to make a difference in the Perhentian Islands and remember this is a long term project.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct bi-annual seagrass surveys in the Perhentian Islands using seagrass watch methods
- Establishing coral rehabilitation projects around the islands
- Assessment of artificial reefs in the islands including purpose sunk reefs to act as fishing grounds for the villagers on the boundaries of the park
- Abiotic factors such as water quality, turbidity, salinity, temperature, wave strength
- Provide relevant and accurate research training to all interns.
- Monitoring of data for quality and accuracy, if any decrease in quality then retraining shall be needed.
- Ensure data is input on a daily basis
- Give ideas of other parameters that could be collected
- Process data so that it can be used on posters and in reports
- Create posters and displays that inform tourists about the implications of the research
- Write up annual reports to be given to marine parks and various stakeholders
- Ensure ALL program introductions and safety briefings are given with all applicable forms signed and records kept
- Ensure ALL protocols and procedures are explained to volunteers prior to undertaking any activity
- Monitor volunteers throughout the program with attention paid to safety, morale and participation
- Facilitate volunteer meetings to gain feedback on the program and to identify key interest areas for long term stays
- Identify and utilize individual strengths amongst the volunteers and your colleagues
- Regularly review the program with your colleagues
- Ensure the general upkeep of volunteer areas
- Ensure the upkeep of equipment used by volunteers.
Working with Stakeholders
This is an important element of the role. The five year strategy is to have at least 1 resort/dive centre partner per bay and for us to work with them to educate them and help them protect their own piece of paradise.
You will be expected to keep regular contact with supportive resorts and dive centres to retain good relations with them and advise them and not tell them what to do.
- Develop monthly activities with our partners firstly by bay and then collectively
- Host twice annual meetings with all stakeholders
- Create a monthly newsletter to distribute to stakeholders
Conservation and Community
- Analyse and interpret the data to identify causes of environmental damage (if any). Is it more local impacts like divers or perhaps global factors like global warming?
- PhD level research conducted by Blue Temple in 2014-2016 has shown that diver impacts can be more than halved if the divers are briefed properly. Therefore we must train and help improve dive briefings around the islands. Including briefings by boat operators as people go to the marine park and upon check in at the hotels
- You will be based in the village in the Perhentian Islands so culture sensitivity from yourself and your team and volunteers is vital
Blue Temple House
- Responsible for the up keep of the House and create schedules on a rota basis
- Ensure the volunteers and staff keep the accommodation and outside areas in a clean and tidy state
- Ensure bedding is changed on a weekly basis and that all new volunteers have clean bedding
- Ensure a good level of communication between yourself and colleagues at all times
- Undertake and demonstrate consistent planning of your workload and adhere to set deadlines
- Meet regularly with your team and other project leaders in the islands as the timetable of the project allows
- Complete Risk Assessments, Operating Procedures and programme content as required
- Provide cover for colleague’s leave and illness as required
- Ensure good financial management by detailing proposed and actual expenditure and filing receipts
- Travel for the purposes of work following agreed timetabling and budgets
- Provide adequate notice of any travel needed whether work related or personal
- Display a professional example to volunteers and colleagues at all times
- Adhere to all safety measures, protocols and procedures as directed by Ecoteer
- High level of diving experience
- Excellent communication skills and confident public speaker
- Research data collection experience
- Excellent attention to detail when it comes to research training, data collection, data input and research monitoring
- Good swimming ability and water safety awareness
- High level of organisation and ability to meet deadlines
- Management experience or a strong desire to be a leader
- Lead by example through passion, hard work and dedication
- Knowledge of the work of Ecoteer and marine conservation in Malaysia
- Competent in using Microsoft Office
- A flexible and adaptive approach
- Must be comfortable in accessing assistance for a demanding role.
- RM1,500 per month, plus commission based on number of volunteers and groups. Estimated RM2,000 per month using 2018 sales for commission
- 10% increment per year
- 2 year contract
- Free mixed dorm accommodation in the Perhentian Islands Village
- Food at the project site
- 1 day off per week and a block of 7 days off every 90 days
- All work related expenses (Not including travel to or from Malaysia)
- Free Wifi internet at project site
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship (upon request only)
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.