Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 6-9 Months
Application Closing Date: 30th November
Start Date: 4th March 2019
Plastic is not fantastic. Neither are littered beaches or oceans. Use your creativity and initiative to expand our pioneering ‘Plastic Free Perhentian’ programme for the Perhentian Marine Research Station. Influence and persuade the local community and tourists alike to dispose of waste responsibly, and act more sustainably. This is the perfect opportunity for someone looking to get involved in conservation, whilst seeing first hand the impact that can be had on communities and their natural environment.
Whats in it for you?
For starters, you’ll be based in the breathtaking Perhentian Islands. You’ll develop and gain a wealth of skills and get to work as part of a team of dedicated marine conservation enthusiasts. Plus there’s a loads of additional benefits including the fact this is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience within the field of conservation.
Skills for your CV:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build and develop relationships with stakeholders
- Exceptional attention to detail developed through research, training, data collection, inputting and monitoring
- Efficient organisation skills and time management
- Problem solving, using initiative and creativity
- Producing project reports and analysis
- Financial management; budget proposals, expenditure reports and documentation
- Accommodation for just £100 for 3 months (for those coming from abroad) whilst at our ‘Blue Temple’ project site on Perhentian Kecil. You’ll be in mixed dorm rooms with our project interns allowing you to mix with some wonderful people.
- Free food! Cook alongside the other interns and volunteers with access to communal food at the project
- Free Wifi at our project sites
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 4 days off each month during project season (Feb to Nov). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further a field. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- All work related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia)
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship. We’ll do our best to help you land your dream job
What we need from you
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and most importantly be willing and committed to get stuck in. You can also find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule
- Team player but also comfortable working independently
- Efficient time management skills and able to meet deadlines
- Good attention to detail
- Great communicator and confident public speaker
- Knowledge of the current work of the Perhentian Marine Research Station and marine conservation in Malaysia
- Interest in conservation and existing recycling or plastic free initiatives
- Flexible and adaptable. Ability to think on your feet
- IT competency
Key duties and responsibilities
- Organise and undertake regular beach cleans, working with local businesses and all Fuze Ecoteer projects in the Perhentians
- Visit resorts and dive centres to encourage to recycle, provide ash trays, offer eco-friendly alternatives and places to refill water bottles. Support them in implementing these processes and providing training
- Expand the ‘Plastic Free Perhentian’ project; research and investigate other waste/recycling initiatives and implement where possible
- Maintain contact with rubbish collection company to ensure staff still find recyclable materials and sell on mainland
- Produce detailed project reports, and regular project updates
- Complete daily house tasks with other staff and volunteers on a rota basis including cooking and cleaning
- Report to your supervisor, maintaining open communication at all times
- Follow agreed timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer
- Any other duties that may be required as delegated by your supervisor including; cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work related or personal)
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.
Find out more about the internship in the video below where past intern Nick talks about his experience in 2018.