Why study Responsible Tourism?
This responsible tourism course has been developed by award winning responsible tourism operators.
As the world’s fastest growing industry, tourism benefits many destinations. However, too often, its negative impacts far out-weigh the good. Responsible tourism responds to this. The responsible tourism course is designed to accelerate your career in tourism/voluntourism sector and equip you to help animal conservation or community development overseas.
The course is ideal for those with academic qualifications in conservation/tourism/community development/environmental sciences/geography and want to learn how to implement strategies and design travel in its most sustainable and responsible form.
This course is also ideal for those working in travel who are seeking career opportunities in responsible tourism, as well as those who wish to career change and try designing travel that supports a worthy cause.
You will learn
This course will cover:
- What Responsible Tourism is – learn how to minimise travel’s negative economic & social impacts and support local animal and conservation efforts.
- Responsible Voluntourism – learn about the work volunteers can do to help endangered animals in holiday destinations.
- Animal Welfare, Conservation & Tourism – learn which types of tourism are acceptable and promote animal conservation and well-being. Another focus will be on primates – a key motivation for people to travel to certain destination. Understand the negative impacts of tourism on primates & how responsible tourism minimises these.
- How to design your own Responsible Tourism Itinerary.
- Communication & Managing Perceptions – understand how a responsible travel company works in partnership with a responsible supplier.
This course consists of 6 theory modules studied online from home with full tutor support.
Assessment and Certification
Courses are assessed through a combination of short answers, descriptions, lists and quizzes.
Ecoteer’s internships are a great way to put theory to practice and this course goes hand-in-hand with the activities you’ll be undertaking.
Based in Malaysia’s breathtaking rainforest or marine project sites, you could be involved in environmental education and teaching, tourism and community engagement, marine or rainforest conservation, or media and marketing.
This course will get you off to a flying start!