Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 3-9 Months
Application Closing Date: Ongoing
Start Date: 10th February 2020
Interested in pursuing a career in education? Passionate about the environment? This internship is perfect for someone looking for a challenge teaching eco-education and will require both enthusiasm and patience to work closely with the local community in Perhentian, both children and adults. As part of the Perhentian Eco-Education team you’re sure to have an incredibly rewarding experience.
As an Eco-Educator intern, you’ll teach eco-education which requires both enthusiasm and patience and work closely with the local community on the Perhentian Islands, both children and adults.
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PEEP House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project sites.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia if required).
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship.
What we need from you
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and be committed and passionate to educating the local Perhentian community. Find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Strong interest in teaching, experience desirable.
- Enthusiastic and passionate to share knowledge with students.
- Excellent communication skills and a confident public speaker.
- Good level of English, verbal and written. Fluency in Bahasa Malay is desirable but not essential.
- Highly organised and the ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Comfortable working with children.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Knowledge of the work of the Perhentian Eco-Education Project in Malaysia.
- Interest in conservation and sustainability.
- IT competency.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Work with fellow interns to deliver regular classes to the children at the local government school including Computing, English, and Roots & Shoots conservation classes.
- Develop a syllabus and produce teaching materials and lesson plans accordingly, storing all materials for future use.
- Complete weekly teaching reports and feedback to the project manager.
- Work with the Perhentian Island Ladies Association to create weekly and monthly schedules and measure local impact.
- Collect photos and videos of activities for social media where appropriate and produce blogs about your experience when requested.
- Help with fundraising initiatives for the project.
- When required, assist the project manager and other interns with volunteer and research activities including water confidence and eco-snorkelling practices, Malay dinners and beach cleans.
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other interns when necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed on timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean and tidy, assisting with daily chores on a rota basis.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required including; group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal)
How To Apply
Please submit your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.
Find out more about this internship opportunity from previous intern, Amirul, who joined us for his placement whilst studying Sustainable Sciences at Universiti Malaysia Kelantan